Thursday, November 7, 2013

Week 6 EOC: Sumpreme Court Prayer


I am not in a religion, but I’m also not an atheist. My point being that I don’t have a problem with a prayer being said in public places. I may feel a little awkward about, but I wouldn’t want to be rude about it either. It’s who it affects most that really matter.

“Two women objected to the prayers at board meetings and sued to stop the practice. One is an atheist; the other, Susan Galloway, is Jewish.” -npr.org

Since there aren’t just Christians anymore all over the country, it doesn’t suit the entire population to start with a Christian prayer. There are a couple other religions here in the US, and some have felt they were being alienated because of it.

“Mulling over the beliefs of Christians, atheists, Bahais and even devil worshipers, Supreme Court justices appeared confounded Wednesday by how to fashion guidelines for prayer at public meetings in an era of rapidly increasing religious diversity in America.” -latimes.com

The most important thing to me is where people should say their prayer. I wouldn’t mind much if it’s with the family and at the dinner table, but not if it’s in a public setting (A restaurant, elementary school, park, etc.). It just wouldn’t seem right. There may be some discrepancies from people around, such as the parent of children if any or someone who is not of that religion’s prayer.

"We are a very religiously diverse country," said Justice Samuel Alito, who worried about the town officials articulating binding guidelines on what can be said. "All should be treated equally. So I can't see how you can compose a prayer that is acceptable to all these religions.” -cnn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment